Monday, March 3, 2008

Realistic Training for Realistic Success

I am often asked "How many hours each week should I train so I can be really successful in my sport?" Well that is a great question and one that often causes so much confusion. We always read about so many athletes who complete many hours of training each week. Some questions that I usually will ask: - Are you improving or just maintain your current fitness level in your training? - Is training negatively affecting other aspects of your day to day obligations? - Do you fit in training/racing around other commitments or do you place these other commitments after your training.racing? - What are your realistic goals? I like 3 total in which 2 are reasonable in terms of reaching and the 3rd the "pie in the sky" goal that may require a few years to reach. - What are your true strengths and weaknesses?
- How much time can you train each day and still complete your day to day commitments?

Once I have these initial answers I then have the athlete complete some baseline testing so I can access their baseline fitness level. From there I will start to develop a program that builds in progression in very small amounts(that is monitored by consistent benchmark testing), that is very structured so that every training session has multiple sets and reps that need to be completed, includes specificity so that every session has a reason when the athlete heads out to train, and most of all requires the least amount of training time to provide results. I also apply the mental connection: education, purpose and attention to skill development,and the ability to listen and respond to what the body is telling us. Remember that training is about "preparing the muscles for the movement". This is what drives a training program for an athlete and the ability to create change that provides success is the continuum.

The next few posts will focus on relative sport specific strength and my approach to developing an athlete to experience on going success.

No comments: